Total Pageviews

Friday, April 13, 2018

Insect

Don’t Bug Me, She Says

Over time,
I have become
like an elder, 
forager bee,
in that I leave 
home daily to
look for the goods,
but I always return.
Like those bees,
we elders die in 
larger numbers,
but we don’t have
to slow down much.
Ninety-nine percent
of forager bees
die away from the hive.
This isn’t just bad luck,
more of a trait, 
an instinct,
Natural Law,
the way things are.
Maybe they know
the end is near, 
so they seek 
one final adventure.
It’s not suggested here
that I run into the forest,
look for a patch of moss,
lie down, close my eyes,
smelling the pine cones.
Nope, not ready for that,
but the adventure seeking part,
maybe yes.
Better that than
sitting at home,
bugging my honey with
tales of what if.

No comments:

Post a Comment