Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 13, 2022

60th High School Reunion

 


My dear friends and classmates from the OHS Class of ‘62,


I started this letter as a long poem, but found I was getting too stuck on rhymes and phrases and such, and those things did not come close to expressing how we feel about each other. I mean, how does one adequately thank folks for being your lifelong friends and acquaintances? We grew up side by side, our searching roots entangled, and once more we return to the place it began, altered some, yet more like our younger selves than ever. We all have mirrors in our homes so we daily see the differences, but happiness trumps gray hair in the coming together of old friends, as if we had never been apart, as if nothing had changed. We might live miles away, even oceans apart, but our shared memories remain. We came from town and from miles around, some of us walking to school while others bussed in or had a parent bring them. Lake kids and farm children, a few city charmers, some from money in the family pot, many others not. We walked the same hallways, heard the same music, saw the same movies, didn’t have all that much tv. There were dramas and fights, athletic nights, promises made with care, embarrassment to share. We had our dances and parties, joined clubs and teams, ate at different lunch tables but shared similar dreams. So what brings us back after sixty-plus years? Is it to note the end of something or to celebrate the beginning? I think I know the answer to the why…it’s the people. Not the old or new buildings, not the games or the classes, not study hall or home room. Not even the Kiltie. Maybe some about hometown pride, but mostly about the people. Over time, I have stayed in touch with many of our former teachers and coaches. I have told people from other parts of the world about about our connectedness. They all find us to be unique, special in our hold on friendship. Me too. I have shared visits, letters and phone calls with many of you, even as I live thousands of miles from our childhood base. I write poetry every day, and when I look at my blog, I am grateful that so much of what I write includes memories of you. So, here’s a little piece, made only for you…


Friends 


Class of ‘62,

there’s no one

quite like you.

What else can I say

except that I love you

in every possible way.

In both success and strife,

I hope you have all had

the time of your life.


Regardless of where we live,

the times or the weather,

we can be grateful we did it,

had this grand life together.

You’re the best people in the world,

on this you can bet,

you’re in my heart forever,

impossible to forget.

So enjoy this reunion,

my sisters and brothers,

raise a toast for those not present 

and just appreciate one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment