Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Take a sad song and make it better

 After R.E.M.’s  “Everybody Hurts”


Life Happens


When did it happen,

that all my friends got old?

Not all of them, but most.


When was it, exactly,

that running became impossible?

And, recently, walking sort of hurts.


When were the years

that my parents died? 

I think I’ve now outlived them.


When did we stop traveling,

was it after that long September?

Maybe we live now where we used to go.


When was it, I wonder,

that bananas lost their flavor?

Though I think, lately, they found it.


When was it, at which point,

that I started looking back,

trying to remember?


To tell the truth,

I can’t really worry 

about any of that.


I can’t stew

on the fact that

I might be a little fat. 


See, all of that stuff

is just lightweight,

unimportant fluff. 


I’m here right now,

happier than ever today,

no matter what comes my way. 


Circumstances don’t compare

to the pure Spiritual Truth 

of the why, what, when, who, where. 


Here’s a fact, the truth

of how the universe

does conspire…


No matter what the mirror says,

God’s gifts constantly 

lift me higher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment