Total Pageviews

Monday, March 13, 2023

The Power of My Wods

 When I began writing, I quickly learned that if I was to become a good writer, I needed to be a great reader, remembering also to re-read my own words before making them public, because, good, great or poor, my words have power to influence others, to impact the world, to affect who I am. I learned too that it is best for me to write about useful, helpful things, and to set reasonable goals for what I wish to say.


So, I think often about that for which I am grateful, less excited about big, noisy events and more moved by small soft acts of kindness and generosity, clearing my muddled mind until the clarity helps me feel lighter. In doing so, I see that my writing gives my thoughts and feelings more three dimensionality, helps me engage with life and its daily experiences in a way which helps me manage and control them. Writing helps me be saner, more balanced, calmer, healthier, more efficiently organized and productive…in a sense, my own words, when I read what I have put to the page, are transformative and enlightening.


I find, even when writing about memories and experiences, I am not bound by the past, nor limited by thoughts of the future. If I choose, I can be eager, excited and optimistic, even when I am writing serious thoughts.  Writing, for me is important to my health in aging, equal in value to nutrition, music, physical exercise, rest and friendship. I see how regrets or remorse can have a powerful bite, so I try to be flexible, even amusing, more forgiving and gentle with myself. I remind myself that I am living in Grace, that healing is a process, and that changing my thinking can can change my life.


When I write, be it fiction, poetry or essay, I think of the audience, the readers of my words. Especially when I write with my veteran brothers and sisters in mind, I do my best to come from a place of humility and dignity, honoring their brave sacrifices, knowing many are still locked into their safe zones, living a quiet life, attempting to not remember some life-altering events, avoiding unimaginable thoughts. Realizing that some of them share while others don’t, I am even more grateful that I enjoy the freedom to write and that I have place make my words public, perhaps helping readers to reflect on their blessings, to know they are not alone.

I give thanks for the comradeship I feel, with hope and optimism for the veteran and writing communities in which I participate.

No comments:

Post a Comment