Total Pageviews

Sunday, August 29, 2021

After Shel Silverstein

 Dear One…


If it was mine, I’d give you the world,

everything in great shape, shiny, like new,

and you’d probably like that,

appreciate it too.

But I own so little of it,

not much of it mine,

so I wish to give instead,

a little valentine.

What’s important to know,

a gift beyond measure,

the older I grow,

it’s you I’ll most treasure.


I have an old  man’s body,

but I know this:

there’s a happy child deep inside,

full of joy, full of bliss.

Now you might say how

can I be so sure, 

when I can’t see it,

not even with the best  mirror.

Well, I might just answer

that I know, this 

the same way I know 

how magically you’ll grow.


I sometimes wish you joy, or peace, or hope. 

I always wish you Love,

and not just on your birthday, nope,

see, we’re always hand-in-glove.

My older birthdays might

lead me to cop an attitude,

but really, the thing I find most right

is to live each day with gratitude.

I give thanks for the friends I meet,

also for the foods I eat,

every liquid drop, each seed,

and thank you for the love I need.

Thank you for our lovely beach,

the ocean so within our reach.

Even though it’s not the norm,

I appreciate the occasional storm.

I’m thankful that it comes to mind 

to smile a lot, and to be kind.

It’s great to see, with honest clarity,

I care enough for flawless charity,

and I’m reminded every day

I’m grateful that I’ve learned to pray,

since it’s the perfect place to start,

to ease my soul, to warm my heart.

I give thanks for the clean, fresh air,

and sun and laughter, quite the pair.


I have known a deeper sorrow,

still have hope for your tomorrow,

like to walk without a care,

simply strolling, being there.

I’m not rich but I don’t mind,

knowing I can still be kind,

see other ways to prove my worth,

still have hope for Mother Earth.

I’m getting older, there is that,

yet I can still be one cool cat.


How will your future be measured?

What will you think of as treasured?

Maybe leave behind regrets,

be okay with little secrets,

be comfy, come to grips,

with life’s quite frequent slips,

lose the need for lots of stuff,

let others’ joy give you enough.

Always return your shopping cart.

It’s not much, but it’s a start.

Write to authors when it’s you they touch,

it inspires them, means so much.

And when you get older - this is wild,

get on your knees when you speak to a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment