Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 25, 2021

Borrowing and lending

 Sources


Growing up in

a village not big 

enough for an inc.,

a mere 1500 souls

until summer when

the city folks arrived,

my family and another

with the IGA store,

fresh produce,

can prices marked

with a black grease pencil,

and an honest to god 

butcher counter.

No ATM’s then,

so we were sometimes 

a bank for the locals,

let them borrow five bucks 

until payday.

I lent a hand everywhere

in that store,

and my folks said I should

work with the butcher,

learn to cut and chop and grind,

so I could pay my way

without borrowing 

when college time arrived,

but I couldn’t embrace the blood.

Instead, I shared my food skills 

making potato salads and

baked beans and cole slaw,

sometimes a mixed vegetable dish.

Served me well as an adult,

growing gardens, canning, freezing,

drying, no blood involved.

Somehow got through college.

Don’t owe anyone anything now.

Well, there’s the mortgage, and 

the car payment, but 

I’m still cooking just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment