Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Some Recent Poems

Nirvanna

You pout,
A kitten cries,
Fog curtains the sun.

You smile,
The Buddha sighs,
A rainbow pauses.

You point your tongue,
My heart laughs,
A summer shower.

***********************
It Works For me

It works for me this life of joy
that I have gained as a geisha boy,
serving my wife and others too,
daily happiness in what I do,
this world of excellent employ.

Could there be more to enjoy
were I in routine paid employ?
Writing, painting, film screening too,
it works for me, this life of joy.

No monthly check, no store-bought toy
could equal when someone calls, “boy”,
How can I be of aid to you?
It’s the most selfish thing I do.
It works for me this life of joy.

*********************************
About the Haiku

Always three lines,
five-seven-five,
some say a focus on
nature must thrive.
Others insist
a season
we see,
unrhymed slice of life
with epiphany.
A pivotal point
‘tween lines two and three,
all said in one breath
with great brevity.
Present tense mandated,
minimalist view, but
if you use humor, it
becomes senryu.
Some think a hybrid
form should be free
of anyone’s mandates
for natural plea
I say, just write,
describe but don’t tell
unless it’s a haibun,
which works just as well.

************************

You scrunch up your nose,
A forsaken infant laughs.
A summer shower.
************************

My heart sings its song,
Spring rains on the horizon.
We must mend the roof
************************

Cool light from afar
Summer crops need attending
bees remain divine
************************

Summer heat arrives
Snowbirds flee, ants fear the rain
The monks pray for peace.
************************

Trees tremble in fear
Earth's fever removes rivers
Spring's new lambs still sleep
************************

Birds waver in flight
fall's invisible thermals
still meditation
************************

and, for the modernists...

Awaiting the nurse
hoping she will be pleasant
what does it matter
************************

and just for fun:

Haiku!
Haiku? I hardly know you
*****************************

No comments:

Post a Comment